Wednesday 3 July 2013

Maybe I'm a Master Chef in hiding

I always thought I was a kick ass chef, thought I could rustle up a three course meal with a can of bully beef, beans and eggs. It was actually three meals as a student, not a three course meal. These where usually made as we got home from clubbing. Breakfast and a beer, watching the sun rise, life was easy then.

My cooking experience started late. As a boarder and a son to an amazing cook, there was never any need to cook. Only when I moved to Ixopo and the next year onto a farm by myself did I ever really have to cook for myself. I didn't do too badly and most of my experiments tasted bladdy good. 
First week I'm dating the Sadils I decide to cook her a meal. We head off to an open air market in a dodgey area of town. I buy a fish which had its head and insides removed in front of us, some tomatoes, "real gravy soaker" potatoes and some onions.
My idea was to layer potatoes at the bottom, place the fish on top and stuff it with tomatoes and onions. The potatoes should go soft and absorb all the juices and melted butter. Worked out beautifully. I tasted and plated up to my very new girlfriend. She started and slowed down very fast while I was quickly acting tidy. Wowee can Sadie talk I remember thinking. I didn't notice she wasn't eating - the sly fox.
I had a mouthful and eff! The fish was off. Honestly, it tasted like a piece of meat that had been dragged at the bottom of the Ganges River in India. I Panicked, WTF, new girlfriend and this tastes like shit. I quickly took the plate from her and went redder than my tomatoes. Thank the Pope for cities and fast foods. She ended up with a burger and chips, Bruce you romantic beast.

Watching Masterchef on PVR last night I realised man alive, maybe I'm not so hot. They gave these people a chicken, CAPERS, bone marrow, bread crumbs, some white cheese, asparagus, something I dont remember and just said "Ypur one hour starts now, cook." Yinna! They had to use Everything! I would freeze. Capers only belong on a pizza, marrow needs to be roasted and asparagus needs to be blanched and eaten with mayo. To eat them any other way is like ordering a British Racing Green Ferrari. 
I would reckon getting a couple of palookas like myself together and getting them to cook up a storm would be a helluva show. People with no clue throwing stuff together. I see the Judges life cover premiums going up. End up calling it Starvation Games, nobody will want to touch the food.

Any ways, back to the fitness thing. The running is going well, I'm running shorter distances but at a higher intensity ( basically I wobble quicker) as it gets dark towards the end of my run fast.
Sadie is running twice a day and Poodle doesn't like me too much so she spends her day chilling with Sadie. It's probably 'cos Sadie doesn't stuff socks in her mouth and place her in the wash basket. Dam traitor. If you gonna hang with a warrior expect the unexpected.

Hope you all have a great week.

1 comment:

  1. Dude - you and Sadie must come run with us once a week - change up your route a bit... Depart from our house @ 5pm daily.

    ReplyDelete